98% of South Dakota farms are family owned and operated.
- Over 2,500 South Dakota farms have been in the same family for more than 100 years.
- The average size of a farm in South Dakota is 1,374 acres.
- The average age of a South Dakota farmer is 55.7 years.
- There are 46,000 producers in South Dakota on 31,800 farms.
- Each year, one South Dakota producer raises enough food to feed 155 people in the U.S. and abroad.
Thousands of South Dakota kids are active in agriculture.
Children help on their families’ farms. Agriculture is taught in classrooms in some schools. And Future Farmers of America (FFA) and 4-H are thriving.
- FFA has nearly 600,000 members, aged 12‒21, in 7,570 chapters in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. www.ffa.org
- 4-H has over 7 million young members who are learning leadership, citizenship and life skills. www.4-h.org